Everyday exposure to sun, rain, snow and other elements slowly age your roof membrane until its service life ends. Your roof needs regular inspections and maintenance just all other important structures in your home. When you choose to invest a small sum to properly care for your roof, you save a bundle. A roof that is not properly maintained might only last half of its expected lifetime. Relying on your warranty is not a viable option. This is beacause any warranties state that if the roof is not maintained regularly, the warranty is void. Many people don’t know what to look for exactly when looking for possible problem areas on their roof, so it’s best to hire experienced professionals for an inspection.
The following are some definite signs that you should hire a roofing contractor right away to prevent any further damage:
- Missing, Damaged, or Curled Shingles: These signs of wear and tear are not too expensive to repair, and you will save money if you deal with them sooner than later.
- Fungus or Algae: If you see signs of fungus or algae collecting on your roof, you should get it inspected so that you know the full extent of the damage.
- Rust: If there are any metal areas near or on your roof that are showing signs of rust, take care of it before the structure of the roof is compromised.
- Cracked Mortar or Caulking: If either mortar or caulking appears to be cracking, they should be looked at immediately.
There are also a few things that you can do as a homeowner to cut down on the maintenance and repair that your roof will inevitably need over the course of its lifetime:
- Blow off or sweep debris that gathers on your roof. Your shingles can be damaged by leaves, sticks and anything else that gathers on your roof. Buildup of tree matter can result in algae growth and clog your gutters.
- Trim branches that are growing close to your roof to keep animals away and prevent damage.
- Keep thick layers of snow off of your roof. When a lot of snow accumulates, it can lead to a collapsed roof. Nobody wants to deal with a roof collapse in the middle of winter.
Roof maintenance is easily one of the most important considerations when it comes to keeping your home’s exterior in good condition. Even small problems, when ignored, can lead to some of the most costly home repairs around. Give us a call today at (716) TITANS-1 for your free estimate!